On Global Mental Health Awareness Day, we’re sending you this mediation video to teach you the foundations of a mindfulness practice you can do anytime, anywhere.
We are so happy to have our guest yogi Marisa LaValette guide this meditation. Marisa is a San Francisco-based yoga and meditation teacher. She’s the founder of Attune + Align, an online women’s wellness membership community. Here are her top 5 tips she shares with her students for starting a meditation practice.
Top 5 Tips for Starting a Meditation Practice:
- Wear Comfortable Clothes: You’ll want to sit for meditation in light, loose clothing with an elastic waistband.
- Get Quiet: Protect the energetic container of your space by shutting the door or lighting a candle.
- Get Grounded: You can sit for meditation on the floor on your OKO mat resting your hands on your knees or your thighs. For some life you can also fold your mat or use a pillow, cushion, or folded blanket. If you’re seated in a chair, uncross your legs and rest the soles of your feet on the floor.
- Release Expectations: There is no right or wrong way to meditate. Close your eyes and pay attention to your breathing. Thoughts will come and go as they please.
- Repeat Over Time: Remember that meditation is a practice. Commit to sitting every morning or every for five to ten minutes with your eyes closed. Incorporate other modalities into your practice such as journaling or listening to spiritual music.
Science Backed Reasons Meditation Helps
- Research shows that 30 minutes of meditation improves depression symptoms.
- Meditation can reduce stress by up to 40 percent
- It can keep colds away reducing respiratory illness and increase recovery time.
- Meditation can also help boost your memory and reduce mind clutter
Looking to learn more about meditation or want to meditate in a group setting? Join Marisa once each month for virtual chakra meditation sessions in Attune + Align women’s wellness monthly membership.